Visiting the Library
The Library is located within the Cleveland History Center, which also houses the Crawford Auto Aviation Collection, the Hay-McKinney House, the Bingham-Hanna House, the Chisholm Halle Costume Wing, and the Museum Store.
The Cleveland History Center is located at 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.
Thursday – Saturday: Open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Closed: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
WRHS Members Free
Active Military Free
Children (age 3-12) $5
Children 2 and under – Free
The Research Library welcomes individual researchers and groups. Discount rates available for groups of 12 or more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make your reservation. Please contact the Reference Division staff in advance of any group visit.
Library tours are available upon request. Call 216-721-5722 x1509.
Food and drink are not permitted in the library.
Lockers: Free lockers are provided for the convenience of patrons. Purses, coats, cameras, personal copiers, scanning devices, umbrellas, briefcases, packages and bags are not permitted beyond the reception desk. WRHS is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. See reference staff with questions.
All library users must sign in at the Library Reception Desk and present two forms of identification such as Driver’s License, School ID, Work ID, etc. WRHS members must present their current membership card. Manuscript readers must complete additional paperwork.
Reading Room Procedures
- All library materials must be handled with care.
- The use of fountain pens, markers, and indelible ink pens is not permitted.
- All library materials including books, manuscripts, and photographic materials must be used exclusively in the Reading Room. WRHS is not a lending library.
- Call slips must be filled out for all library materials, except those books available on the open shelves in the Reading Room. Paging begins at 10:15 a.m., continues on the half-hour, and ends at 4:15 p.m.
- Patrons should not attempt to reshelve any Library materials. Return collections to the Library Registration Desk or to the Reading Room book carts.
- Researchers using manuscripts must complete and sign a “Manuscript Reader Sheet” and must adhere to the special regulations pertaining to the use of manuscripts. Consult a staff member with questions and photocopy guidelines.
- Access to some collections, e.g., those available on microform, newspapers in fragile condition, and rare and oversize books, is restricted. Vault access requires advance notice.
Microforms Room Procedures
- Microfilm readers, microfiche readers, three microform printers and one Scan Pro 2000 Digital Printer are available for patron.
- Microfilm Reader printer, computer, and ScanPro 2000 copies are $.10 per page. A flash drive may be used for the ScanPro 2000.
- Patrons may use an available machine on a first-come basis. A one-hour limit may be imposed when necessary.
- Patrons may retrieve their own microforms. Patrons are limited to TWO rolls of microfilm. Place used microforms on wooden book cart for reshelving.
- Materials that are not likely to be damaged in the process may be photocopied for patrons by the reference staff. Cost: black and white, $ 0.35 per page. Color, $1.05. Copy requests are accepted until 4:30 p.m.
- See the WRHS Digital Reproduction & Rights and Permission Fee Scheducle for information about digital reproductions
- Limited microfilming services are available. Consult a Reference Librarian.
- Misuse of library materials or failure to abide by the Library Regulations and Procedures may result in dismissal from the Library.
- WRHS is a member of the Ohio Network of American History Research Centers and abides by the section of the Ohio Revised Code that pertains to access to public government records.