Visiting the Library
For Hours and Admission information, please CLICK HERE.
At this time the Library is available for research BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. To schedule research time please email email@example.com.
The Library is located within the Cleveland History Center, which also houses the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel, the Hay-McKinney Mansion, the Bingham-Hanna Mansion, the Chisholm Halle Costume Wing, Community History Galleries, and the Museum Store.
The Cleveland History Center is located at 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.
The Library welcomes individual researchers and groups. Discount rates available for groups of 12 or more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make your reservation. Please contact the Reference Division staff in advance of any group visit.
Library tours are available upon request. Call 216-721-5722 x1509.
Research Library Regulations and Procedures:
Library Hours: 10:00am to 3:00pm Thursday -Saturday
FREE with valid membership card
See admissions desk for a 3-month pass, $20.00
Scheduling a Library Visit:
The Library is open to all researchers by appointment Thursday-Saturday 10:00am to 3:00pm.
Library Registration is required for all visiting Library researchers. See the Library Reference front desk for instructions. First time patrons are required to present two forms of identification (driver’s license, school I.D., work I.D., etc. or a current WRHS membership card) and to complete WRHS paperwork. Previously registered patrons must also check in at the Library Reference front desk and show a photo I.D. and/or a WRHS membership card prior to using the library.
Lockers are provided free of charge. Purses, coats, personal copiers, scanning devices, umbrellas, briefcases, backpacks, packages, and bags are not permitted in the Library Reading Room beyond the front desk. WRHS is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
Cell phones and laptop computers are permitted in the Library. Photography is permitted in accordance with the Cleveland History Center Research Library Camera Use Policy. See the Reference Team with questions and instructions.
Food and Drink:
Food and drink is not permitted in the Library. At this time, the Museum Gift Shop public eating area is closed.
- All Library materials must be handled with care.
- The Library does not lend materials. All materials must be used in the Library Reading Room.
- The use of fountain pens, markers, and/or indelible ink pens is not permitted.
- Requesting Library Materials: Once a research visit appointment is approved, researchers are required to submit a list of Library materials they would like to view at least two weeks prior to their scheduled visit. The Library Team will retrieve materials in advance of the scheduled visit when possible. On the day of visit, requested materials will be delivered to an assigned Reading Room Table. The Library open stacks and Atlas collections located on the first floor are open for research. The Reference Team will assist with call slips and collection retrieval.
- PHOTOCOPY SERVICES are suspended. Note: Refer to the Library Camera Use Policy.
- The Library Team will re-shelve all library materials. Please return collections to reading room book carts.
- Researchers using manuscripts must read and sign a Manuscript Reader Sheet and must adhere to the special regulations pertaining to the use of manuscripts.
- Access to some collections is restricted. Access to items shelved in the Vault requires advance notice/approval and completion of the WRHS Rare Book/Vault Item Reader Sheet.
- The Reading Room has free wifi access.
Learning Center/Microform & Computer Room:
- The Learning Center/Microform & Computer Room is open for research. Researchers have access to WRHS computers and access to the WRHS online catalog, Digital Cleveland Starts Here, AncestryLibrary/HeritageQuest, the NEHGS and other online subscriptions. Microfilm retrieval is self-service.
- Two ScanPro digital microform readers are available for patron use. ScanPro machines have flash drive access and are connected to a printer. Paper copies are $.10/page.
Reproduction and Digital Services
- Photocopy Services: Due to Covid-19 protocols, photocopy requests/services are suspended.
- Digital reproduction services are available. Please see the reference staff for details and a fee schedule.