Jewish American Archives
The Cleveland Jewish Archives serves as the community’s local Jewish history resource, working with other organizations to promote the teaching and learning of Jewish history. The primary activity of the Cleveland Jewish Archives is to collect print and non-print material that documents the history of the Jewish community of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio. This material is then made available to the public for educational purposes.
Established in 1976 in cooperation with the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland, the Jewish Archives has a long record of encouraging the study of local Jewish history.
Several publications sponsored by WRHS and the Jewish Federation highlight the holdings of the Cleveland Jewish Archives:
- The History of the Jews of Cleveland, by Lloyd P. Gartner (1978).
- Merging Traditions: Jewish Life in Cleveland, by Sidney Z. Vincent and Judah Rubinstein (1978). Revised edition by Judah Rubinstein, with Jane A. Avner published by Kent State University Press, 2004.
- Guide to Jewish History Sources in the History Library of the Western Reserve Historical Society (1983; and supplement, 2000).
- What I Remember: Clevelanders Recall the Shtetl, compiled and edited by Goldie Lake (1985).
- The Camp Wise Story, 1907-1988, by Albert M. Brown (1989).
- From Generation to Generation: History through Images, (1989). Materials examining Jewish continuity in Cleveland, Ohio, prepared for teachers and students in cooperation with the Cleveland Bureau of Jewish Education.
- Remembering: Cleveland’s Jewish Voices,edited by Sally H. Wertheim and Alan D. Bennett (2011).
- Visit the WRHS Library/Archives & Genalogy Center to use these publications in person or purchase them from the WRHS Museum Store.
The Cleveland Jewish Archives collects print and non-print material (including, but not limited to, correspondence, diaries, photographs, posters, recordings, and objects) that help WRHS tell the story of the Jewish community in Northeast Ohio. To schedule an appointment to discuss materials that might be appropriate for WRHS, please call Sean Martin, 216-721-5722, x1514, or e-mail email@example.com.
Jewish History Resources
- Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
- Cleveland Jewish News
- Jewish Federation of Cleveland
- JewishGen: The Home of Jewish Genealogy
- American Jewish Historical Society
- American Jewish Archives
- Jewish Genealogy Society of Cleveland
- Cleveland Jewish History
For more information or to donate to the Cleveland Jewish Archives collections:
Associate Curator for Jewish History
Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-1777
(216) 721-5722 x1514