Edward H. Lindhorst and Sons Funeral Home Records, 1906-1945 (MS 5091)
Lindhorst Funeral Home (1905-ca. 1974) was founded in Cleveland, Ohio, at 2924 16th St. S.W. (98 Abram St.) by Edward H. Lindhorst. In 1909 the funeral home moved to 1610 Clark Ave. S.E., the former home of Elizabeth Lindhorst, widow of John H. Lindhorst (Edward’s parents). It continued at the same location throughout its operation. In the early 1920s the name was changed to Edward H. Lindhorst & Son Funeral Home as Edward’s son Roland E. Lindhorst joined the business. Sometime afterward, Edward’s son-in-law Raymond N. Wilson, joined the business and it became known as Edward H. Lindhorst and Sons. Roland Lindhorst died in 1935, and Ruth Lindhorst Wilson, Roland’s sister and Raymond’s wife, joined the business. Edward Lindhorst died in 1940, leaving Ruth and Raymond Wilson to run the funeral home. Around this time, the business began being referred to as Lindhorst Funeral Home according to the death notices printed in local newspapers. Besides funeral services they also advertised invalid car service. Raymond Wilson died in July, 1972 and Ruth died in July, 1976. According to the donor, Judith Wilson Robertson, granddaughter of Edward Lindhorst, the funeral home building no longer stands. It was razed for a school in 1976.
This collection provides the genealogical researcher with valuable information, particularly those interested in German family history in Cleveland, Ohio in the first half of the twentieth century.
The records provide the researcher with the name of the deceased, maiden name, race, residence, cause of death and other valuable information.
This index allows researchers to search the record books from 1906-1945 located in MS 5091 Edward H. Lindhorst and Sons Funeral Home Records. The index provides the full name and date of death for the deceased. Once the researcher knows the year of death, the location of the funeral documentation can be ascertained from the collection finding aid which can be viewed here.
More detailed information, as described above, is provided in the WRHS Research Center Reading Room. Manuscript 5091 Edward H. Lindhorst and Sons Funeral Home Records, 1906-1974 contains other documents and files in addition to the record books, registers, and card files. See the public catalog record for more information about the collection and what it contains.
Researchers can access and make copies from the collection at the Western Reserve Historical Society Research Center Reading Room. Reference staff can provide copies for researchers unable to schedule a visit to the Western Reserve Historical Society. For information about the WRHS Research Center location, hours, admission fees, and research fees, contact the reference staff at 216-721-5722, x1509, or via email at email@example.com.