Celebrations! Holiday Traditions in Cleveland |November 24, 2017-January 7, 2018
Stroll through the Cleveland History Center and delight in the nostalgia of holidays in Cleveland. Start with peek at artifacts representing Cleveland’s cultural traditions in the new Cleveland Starts Here® exhibit sponsored by the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Foundation. Enjoy holiday décor and winter vignettes complete with fashions from the WRHS Costume Collection and Chisholm Halle Costume Wing in the Bingham-Hanna and Hay-McKinney Mansions, as well as the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum. Celebrations! also includes a season of holiday-themed events and programs at the Cleveland History Center. Mark your calendars now for:
- Gingerbread Tea & Tour Holiday Open House | November 24-25
- Begin your holiday season surrounded by family and friends in the Hay-McKinney Mansion. Listen to stories of holidays’ past, delight in scenes of historic winter fashions for children and families all while exploring two floors of this spectacular mansion during a guided tour. Then, warm up with tea, hot cider, or cocoa and enjoy a gingerbread cookie as you relax the beautiful historic surroundings.
- Holiday CircleFest | December 3 – Free Admission for All!
- Each year our friends at the Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage join us at the Cleveland History Center for this spectacular University Circle-wide celebration of the holidays. Make this family day meaningful by learning of the customs of the celebration of light through live music, make & take crafts and more. For locally sourced gift-giving, our Museum Store has invited authors Laura DeMarco and WRHS’ own John Grabowski, Ph.D., who will be signing copies of Lost Cleveland, and, essential for residents and newcomers alike, Cleveland A to Z, respectively. Other great gifts for Clevelanders will be available, as well as hot cocoa ($), rides on the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel ($) and Higbee’s frozen chocolate malts from Weber’s Premium Custard & Ice Cream ($).
- Breakfast with Santa and Santa’s Workshop | December 9
- Pack your sleigh with your family of elves and enjoy a pancake breakfast($) and face-time with the man in the red suit. Decorate cookies and take unlimited rides on the carousel! New this year, elves ages 3-10 may schedule wood-crafting time in Santa’s Workshop ($) after breakfast. Each elf will assemble and paint a toy to keep and a gift to give.
- Breakfast with Santa (9 am – 11 am) is $17 for adults, $12 for children (3-12), and includes breakfast, story time, photo ops, carousel rides and museum admission. Breakfast is free for members.
- Santa’s Workshop (11 am – 1 pm) is $15 for children 3-10, ($10 for members, or when purchased in addition to Breakfast with Santa). Space is limited.
- History on Tap: Holidays on the Homefront | December 16, 1pm-4pm
- Today, we think of the holidays as a time to be at home with the ones we love, but this has not always been the case for Clevelanders. Join us at the Cleveland History Center on Saturday, December 16th from 1-4pm for History on Tap: Holidays on the Homefront, and find out how local communities carried on and adapted their traditions in the midst of war. We’ll have an exclusive peek at our World War I collection, festive crafts and activities, historical holiday vignettes, military reenactors, selected wartime letters from our archives, and seasonal treats and beverages. Come raise a glass to the tough Clevelanders who battled through hard times, so that we could enjoy peace and goodwill in the New Year!
- Holiday Make & Take Craft Drop-Ins | December 22-23, 26 -31 11 am – 2pm
- Enrich your holiday family-time with a day immersed in the festive atmosphere of the Cleveland History Center. Explore the latest in museum interactives in our Cleveland Starts Here® exhibit sponsored by the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Foundation. Dress-up and build a town in our family-favorite Kidzibits hands-on gallery. Take in indoor carousel ride on the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel, and stop by the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum rotunda for creative play and Make & Take Crafts.