Research & Collections > Collection Highlights
print
 

Collection Highlights

Western Reserve Historical Society is recognized nationally for the outstanding holdings in our special collections.  We collect more than you see below, but here is some information for our most noted collections


Historic Properties & Buildings

Hay-McKinney and Bingham Hanna Houses, Hale Farm & Village, Shandy Hall, Loghurst

Large Special Collections

Crawford Auto Aviation Collection, Costume and Textile, Paintings and Fine Arts, Decorative Arts, Domestic Arts, Shaker Collection, Militaria
 

Community History Archival Collections

Cleveland Jewish Archives, African American Archives, Business & Industrial Records, Philanthropic Archives, Immigration Archives, LGBT Archives, William Palmer Civil War Collection


Historic Properties & Buildings


Hay-McKinney Mansion
In 1908 Clara Stone Hay, daughter of Amasa Stone and widow of John Hay, engaged Abram Garfield, youngest son of President Garfield, to design a home for her in the Wade Park Allotment. While the house, with terraced courtyard garden and modern conveniences, was completed in 1911, Mrs. Hay never furnished or occupied the house, preferring to return to New York City on the death of her sister, Flora Stone Mather.   Today the Hay-McKinney house is furnished as a series of period galleries exhibiting furniture, decorative and fine arts and domestic artifacts from the Society’s collections.

Back to top

Bingham-Hanna Mansion
Between 1916 and 1919 on the land neighboring the Hay-McKinney property, Harry Payne Bingham built a 35 room house designed by Walker and Gillette, with a landscape by Olmsted Brothers and featuring ironwork by Samuel Yellin and tile pavements by Henry Mercer’s Moravian Pottery and Tile Works. Never occupied by the Binghams, who settled in New York , the house was purchased in 1920 by Coralie Walker Hanna, widow of Leonard C. Hanna, who lived there until her death in 1936. In 1940, her son, Leonard C. Hanna, Jr., gave the house to WRHS in return for the Society’s building located at Euclid Ave. and E. 107th St.

Back to top

Hale Farm & Village
Hale Farm and Village consists of 32 historic buildings. Period crafts are made on the premises, with skilled artisans demonstrating glassblowing, potting, blacksmithing, spinning, weaving, candlemaking and basketmaking.  Farm animals are in residence as well with a "stable" of horses, cows and sheep.  Hale Farm also presents 1860s Civil War history in our beautiful Village.  Each building welcomes you to catch a glimpse of life in the 1860s and shares its past with you first hand.

Back to top

Shandy Hall
Shandy Hall is modest in appearance on the exterior, there are 17 rooms inside, including the original cellar kitchen with cooking fireplace, bake oven, and a splendid banquet room with coved ceiling and early nineteenth century scenic French wallpaper. On the grounds, original shrubs and trees shade flower and herb gardens. Virtually all the furniture pieces in the home belonged to the Harpers. The house looks much like it was in the 1830’s when Robert, his wife Polly, and their four daughters lived at Shandy Hall.

Back to top

Loghurst
Loghurst was home to several families of farmers, each of whom placed their own special marks on the house through additions, interior renovations, and preservation.  Today, Loghurst is available for tours and educational programs, and visitors can experience life in a turn of the 20th century farm house, surrounded by the furniture and implements of the Kyle family, the last family to live in the home. Tours of the house introduce visitors to a typical kitchen, dining room and parlor of the period, while sharing lifestyle information and stories from all the house's previous inhabitants.

Back to top



Large Special Collections


Crawford Auto Aviation Collection
This important collection of artifact and archival materials highlights technological advances and social mobility in American society and reflects the intersection of design, art, and the decorative arts with a major emphasis on Northeast Ohio’s contributions. This collection is comprised of over 140 antique automobiles, 21 non-car transportation artifacts (motorcycles, bicycles, and boats), 10 aircraft, and 30 carriages and sleighs from various eras.  The Society's Automotive Marque Files offer a treasure trove of automobilia, including dealer brochures, owner's manuals, shop service manuals and bulletins, parts lists, customer mailings, and employee publications. In many instances, period photographs and postcards augment the factory literature, while contemporary articles and pamphlet histories supplement the primary materials.  In addition, WRHS possesses an outstanding archival collection related to the Cleveland National Air Races.  Access to view the collection rotates with the exhibits.

Back to top

Costume and Textile
Western Reserve Historical Society maintains one of the largest collections of historic costume and textiles in the United States. Housed within the Society’s Chisholm Halle Costume Wing and the Bingham-Hanna house, the collection comprises some 40,000 garments, accessories and domestic textiles, ranging in date from ca. 1750 to present day.  The collection is international in scope and contains both historic and contemporary designs, including mass-produced, ready-to-wear, couture and one-of-a-kind pieces. 

Back to top

Paintings and Fine Arts
The Western Reserve Historical Society paintings collection houses approximately 800 oil paintings that cover a wide range of topics pertaining to the history of the Western Reserve region. Genres that are strongly represented include portraiture, landscapes, cityscapes, historical paintings, and genre paintings. As individual works the paintings often provide glimpses of the people of our region and the places they have shaped. As a whole, the collection stands as a fine collection of American art, revealing in broad historical outlines the tastes and sensibilities of the individuals and communities of the Western Reserve. Some noted artists represented in the collection include Archibald Willard, Howard Chandler Christy, DeScott Evans, Henry Church, and numerous other artists and craftsmen of more local fame. Much of the collection is portraiture, but Ohio landscapes and historical subjects are also strongly represented.

Back to top

Decorative Arts
The Western Reserve Historical Society decorative arts collection is comprised of about 3,500 artifacts dating from the late 18th through the mid-20th centuries. Decorative arts are here defined as artifacts of household utility and decorative function made of glass, ceramics, metal, wood, or a combination thereof.  Earlier dated items through the 1870s reflect predominantly the tastes of the affluent section of Western Reserve society, but there are nonetheless many fine examples of artifacts owned and used by laborers. Later dated items late 19th through the mid-20th centuries are more representative of a broad swath of cultural and class groups.  These, predictably, reflect the tastes and consumer habits of America's growing middle class.

Back to top

Domestic Arts
The collection, approximately 2,000 cataloged objects, cover a broad array of primarily utilitarian objects. In the broadest terms these artifacts could be divided between those used in the domestic sphere of household maintenance and domestic life, and those used in the public sphere of wage labor and civic life.

Back to top

Shaker Collection 
The largest collection extant documenting the Shaker communities in the United States.   It is a “must use” for any scholar conducting research on the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing.  WRHS contains a collection of about 800 Shaker artifacts, ranging from furniture to clothing to tourist trade items representing all known Shaker communities. The bulk of the collection was amassed early in the 20th century when a WRHS Director, Wallace H. Cathcart, began a correspondence with Eldress Catharine Allen of Canterbury, New Hampshire. Knowing that the Shaker way of life was in decline, both Allen and Cathcart sought to preserve a material record of the Shakers. Thus Allen began sending to Cathcart, artifacts and documents from the various Shaker communities. Many of the artifacts were personal mementos of prominent Shaker elders, but the bulk of the artifacts: seed packets, sewing baskets, socks, furniture, clothing patterns, demonstrate Shaker handicrafts and industry. The correspondence between Cathcart and Allen is housed in the WRHS Library along with an immense collection of paper-based Shaker material, including books, ephemera, ledgers, photographs and several spirit drawings.

Back to top

Militaria
The Western Reserve Historical Society is home to a very large collection perhaps 4,000 items, of artifacts related to American military history. These artifacts range from personal gear, uniforms, knapsacks, mess kits, buttons and insignia to musical instruments to arms and ordinance, horse tack, and numerous relics. Some of the collection is comprised of para-military items associated with Troop A, Cleveland's independent militia formed in response to the labor unrest of the 1870s. Highlights of the collection include a Civil war torpedo recovered from the Tennessee River, personal artifacts belonging to Col. Orlando Risdon, who lead a colored regiment, and a trencher apparently used at Andersonville Prison.

Back to top

Community History Archival Collections


Cleveland Jewish Archives
The archives hold several hundred distinct manuscript collections.  Among the most significant are the papers of Abba Hillel Silver, the rabbi of Temple-Tifereth Israel, and a Zionist strongly involved in the establishment of the state of Israel.  Also significant are the records of the Cleveland Council on Soviet Anti-Semitism – the agency that began the national movement to force the former Soviet Union to allow the free emigration of Jews.

Back to top
 
African American Archives
This body of material represents one of the most significant sources available for the study of the urban African-America experience.  It includes the records of the local chapter of the NAACP, those of the Urban League, and those of the Garvey Universal Negro Improvement Association, which once had its national headquarters in Cleveland.

Back to top

Business and Industrial Records  
This body of material includes a number of significant holdings including the personal papers of Frederic C. Crawford, who was responsible for the creation of TRW, the records of TRW, those of the Austin Company, the records of LTV Steel (possibly the largest body of material relating to the steel industry to be found in the US), Cleveland Twist Drill, and the E. F. Hauserman Company.   Together these present a major source for the study of industrialization in the Great Lakes region.

Back to top

Philanthropic Archives   
This body of material includes the records of all major foundations in Greater Cleveland (Gund, Cleveland, Nord, etc.) along with the papers of noted individual philanthropists such as Samuel Mather and William Gwinn Mather.   These collections are complemented by substantial holdings of records of social service agencies that were the beneficiaries of local and regional philanthropy.

Labor History Archives 
These materials include the records of both major and minor labor organizations in Northeastern Ohio, including those of the Carpenters Union, the Meatcutters Union, and those of the painters, carpenters, plasterers, musicians, and other skilled and industrial trades. The LTV Steel Company Records are a large and important collection on a major industry in Northeast Ohio, and encompass the period from 1882-2002.

Back to top

Immigration Archives
The holdings in this area document almost every major migrant group in Cleveland with specific, specially funded programs in the areas of Italian American and Irish American history.  Materials in the collections include the records of fraternal aid societies, singing and dramatic organizations, neighborhood leaders, and individual immigrants.

Back to top

LGBT Archives 
These holdings include the records of the LGBT Community Services Center and its predecessor agencies, those of the local Pride organization and the papers of and interviews with a number of individuals active in the LGBT community.

Back to top

William Palmer Civil War Collection 
This body of material consists of regimental papers, diaries, letters, and the personal papers of generals Franz Sigel and Braxton Bragg.  It is complemented by an estimated 10,000 photographs and prints and a vast body of published material, including a substantial number of regimental histories.

Back to top