Construction Begins on Euclid Beach Carousel Pavilion in University Circle
Project of local carousel organizations to rebuild historic carousel at Western Reserve Historical Society becomes a reality with operations planned for late 2013.
Construction of the Carousel Pavilion, a separate project of Cleveland’s Euclid Beach Park Carousel Society, has begun. This project runs concurrent with Phase I of the History Center Transformation Project. The pavilion is designed to house the historic Euclid Beach Park Carousel and operate it for public use. The Carousel Society is building a new mechanism to support the original Euclid Beach Carousel horses, which are in the WRHS collection and fully restored. The iconic carousel could be running for public rides as soon as late 2014..
Fireworks and American Flags: Carousel Society Reflects on Patriotic Flag Horse and Euclid Beach Park Independence Day Traditions
Euclid Beach Park and Grand Carousel Time Line:
1895: Euclid Beach Park, a new summer resort, opens eight miles east of Cleveland's Public Square for the first of its 74 seasons.
1901: The Park goes bankrupt. The Humphrey family offers to rent the property and, before the season ends, purchases 80% of the company stock. The park operates on the foundation of fair dealing, clean entertainment, and pleasant surroundings.
1910: Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC) installs a new, larger, more grand carousel with four rows of horses, three inside rows of "jumpers" and an outside row of nearly life size stationary horses.
The initial purchase price is $7,734.04.
1969: Euclid Beach Park closes. The carousel is sold to Palace Playland, a small amusement park in the Atlantic Ocean resort town of Old Orchard Beach, Maine.
1997: Palace Playland is sold. The carousel is consigned to an auctioneer who decides to hold the auction in Cleveland. The Trust for Public Land, armed with temporary funding from the Ford Foundation, secures the entire carousel with a bid of $650,000. With a "buyers" premium added to the bid, the final cost for the carousel is $715,000. Cleveland Tomorrow announces a plan to restore and preserve the carousel as a year-round attraction at North Coast Harbor.
1998: Cleveland Tomorrow announces that Carousel Magic, located in Mansfield, Ohio, would restore the 54 horses and two chariots. Western Reserve Historical Society participates in the restoration.
During restoration it is discovered that four horses are missing (there should be 58). Cleveland Tomorrow asks Euclid Beach Park Nuts to initiate a fundraising campaign to carve the four replacement horses.
1999: Necessary funding to put the carousel into operation falls short. Cleveland Tomorrow gifts the horses and chariots to Western Reserve Historical Society where most are placed into storage. WRHS retains ownership of the horses and chariots.
2003: Northeast Shores Development Corporation presents a plan to Euclid Beach Park Now to place the carousel back in its original location at Euclid Beach State Park as part of a Lake Shore Master Plan drafted by Kent State University's Urban Design Center.
2007: Western Reserve Historical Society, Northeast Shores Development Corporation and Euclid Beach Park Now meet to discuss the State Park plan.
2009 Cleveland's Euclid Beach Park Carousel Society presents a plan to Euclid Beach Park Now to locate the carousel in University Circle. Euclid Beach Park Now votes to support the plan.
2010: Cleveland’s Euclid Beach Park Carousel Society and Euclid Beach Park Now present the plan to Western Reserve Historical Society proposing that the Carousel be located inside the WRHS History Center in University Circle and that The Carousel Society raise the necessary funds for the restoration and placement, in addition to an endowment to sustain future operations. WRHS Board approves collaboration with The Carousel Society to rebuild and operate the carousel at its History Center in University Circle.
2011: The Carousel Society hires The Carousel Works to restore and rebuild the Carousel using the original horses and chariots. Restoration work begins.
2012: Construction of the glass pavilion to house the Carousel begins at the corner of East Boulevard and East 108th Street, and connected to the WRHS History Center. Completion is estimated by the end of the year.