An early Image of Jonathon Hale
In 1810 Jonathan Hale, a farmer from Glastonbury, Connecticut, arrived in the Western Reserve. As a gesture of good faith, Hale guaranteed the debts of a friend in Connecticut. Unfortunately for Hale, the man was not able to settle these debts, thus forcing Hale to pay them. Hale was forced to sell his house and farm in Connecticut, and with $1,250 left from his shrunken assets, he purchased 500 acres of land and ventured to the Western Reserve.
Upon arrival Hale found a squatter settled on his property. Respecting the work the man had done, such as clearing the fields and building a cabin, Hale gave him his horse and wagon in exchange for his efforts and hence began the Hale Homestead.
In 1825 Hale began constructing a sparkling three-story red brick house using materials from his property. At the time of completion, this was one of only two brick homes in the Cuyahoga Valley. Three generations of the family lived in this house and farmed the property.