Plan Your Visit > Hale Farm & Village > Hale Farm and Village Exhibits
print
 

Exhibits at Hale Farm & Village

The John A. McAlonan Carriage Museum
The John A. McAlonan Carriage Manufactory, built in 1851 in Newton Falls, Ohio, was acquired and moved to Hale Farm & Village in 1969. Originally built as a gristmill on the Mahoning River, it was powered by a water wheel to grind corn and grain into usable, consumer products. By 1900, water powered milling became impractical due to frequent river flooding and the arrival of a new power source – electricity. The building was then moved to the center of town to North Canal Street where it served as a feed mill and lumberyard for many years.

The structure was originally placed at the western end of the museum’s recreated village to serve as a power-powered mill. In the 1990s, the building was moved again to its current location. Restoration began and the building was modified to represent a 19th century style carriage manufactory, where surreys, carriages, sleighs and other vehicles of this type were built. 

The building is now named for John A. McAlonan, the owner of Universal Motor Company, Inc., a Ford Dealership in Akron. In 1958, McAlonan established a trust to benefit the local community and it was this trust, The John A. McAlonan Fund of the Akron Community Foundation that funded the restoration of the building. 

The McAlonan Fund continues to support the annual maintenance of this building and has in the last three years awarded Hale Farm & Village two capital grants to support the completion of restoration projects. Through this generosity, the restoration was completed the 19th century horse drawn vehicles exhibit was reinstalled.

The Jonathan Goldsmith House Decorative Arts Exhibition
The Goldsmith House was built for the William Peck Robinson family around 1830 in Willoughby, Ohio. William Robinson died in 1832 just prior to the completion of the house, and the letters between his widow, Sophronia, and her son who attended Yale University provide exceptional detail about their lives, as well as the layout, use, and furnishing plan of the home during the mid-19th century.

The building is currently named after the illustrious Western Reserve builder and architect Jonathan Goldsmith known for his elaborate carvings and the quality of his construction. The Goldsmith House is an excellent example of his work. 

The initial restoration of the house was completed in 1985, with the interior designed to reflect the styles and tastes of the upper middle class in the Western Reserve during the early 19th century. The size of the home, and the quality of the craftsmanship, makes the Goldsmith House the finest, most luxurious house in the Western Reserve Village at Hale Farm. The Jonathan Goldsmith House showcases our fine and decorative arts collection. 

A Growing Edible Exhibit – A Partnership Between WRHS Hale Farm & Village and Great Lakes Brewing Company.